December 1st, 2009 by Bryan Kinkel
Here is a look at upcoming features for Printer’s Apprentice 8.1. This version has lots of fixes for improved support with Windows 7. All screenshots below were taken using the release version of Windows 7 Home Professional.
Printer’s Apprentice 8.1 is slated for a mid-December 2009 release. If you are interested in participating in our beta program, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Printer’s Apprentice 8.1 works great with Windows 7. There are many minor cosmetic enhancements in the application for better integration with both Windows 7 and Vista. For example, the toolbar will use Windows 7 icons and listboxes support hover highlight effects.
- Printer’s Apprentice now queries the system to determine the correct font used for drawing dialog boxes. This font is then used to render the various screens in Printer’s Apprentice. In most cases this is Segoe UI.
- New Menus & Colors tab on the Options dialog. On this screen you can change menu, toolbar & icon styles. You can also change the color of the accent bars used across the top of the main screen.
- Font Files and Font Groups tabs use a new tree control. This should eliminate the "object not set" errors that could pop up with the old control. The new control is FolderView.Net, provided by LogicNP Software.
- The old control, exptreelib.dll & exptreelib.pdb, will be replaced with the new logicnp.folderview.dll when you run the Printer’s Apprentice setup program.
- Added a "Make New Folder" button to the Copy / Move Font to Folder dialog box.
- Added a "Make New Group" button to the Copy / Move Font to Font Group dialog box.
- Fixed a bug with installing Type 1 fonts. If the registry key
SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Type 1 Installer\Type 1 Fonts did not exist, then the install would fail.
- Fixed a bug in the OpenType font reading routines. Some fonts were being ignored if they had invalid strings in the OTF NAME table.
- When installing multiple fonts, and one or more of them is already installed, a dialog box would popup showing you the number to be installed and the number already installed. This now uses a message box with Yes/No buttons instead of just OK.